Monday, February 13, 2012

What We Are Reading Part 2

Last February I wrote about the chapter books we had been reading to the kids.  You can read that post here: What We Are Reading (part 1)

We just wrapped up Stuart Little, so I thought it would be a good time to post what we have read over the past year and what we plan on reading next.  This helps me keep track of what we have read and might inspire you and your family to grab a few of these titles too!

We went through a rough spell after Contessa was born where we were not reading for several months.  But recently at the suggestion of the mom from Steady Mom, we have started reading at breakfast, lunch or both.  Some days breakfast reading doesn't happen, but lunch has been very consistent for us.  I either eat a bit before hand or I wait and eat afterwards.  We are getting in so much more reading this way and the kids sit and listen much better.  Give it a try.

Last February our goal was to read Never Cry Wolf, Misty of Chincoteague, The Trumpet of the Swan, The Adventures of Huckleberry Finn, and three part history book set.  We read Misty of Chincoteague and The Trumpet of the Swan but then made some adjustments to our other books we had selected.  We got a few chapters into Huckleberry Finn and I realized I needed to read Tom Sawyer first.  The history books were very dry and boring, so we donated them.  And Never Cry Wolf got put back on the shelf for some reason.

We added Sailing to Cytheria, Sarah Plain and Tall, Stuart Little, A Lion to Guard Us, and The Adventures of Tom Sawyer.  The kids and I have loved them all!


When we finished the last of Stuart Little today, I had the kids pick out four books to read next.


The kids selected Never Cry Wolf, Where the Red Fern Grows, James and the Giant Peach and Sea Star, which is the sequel to Misty of Chincoteague.  I am excited to read these to the kids except for Where the Red Fern Grows!  That book made me cry back in 5th grade and I am sure I will not be able to get through it at 33 years old without crying some more!  Oh well!

Nathan sent me a quote from C.S. Lewis the other day that I found so profound.  He said "No book is really worth reading at the age of ten which is not equally - and often far more - worth reading at the age of fifty and beyond."

Let C.S. Lewis inspire you and your family to read books that fit that criteria!  Go grab a classic and get reading today!



2 comments:

  1. I love these posts, Sarah! Thanks for posting it.

    ReplyDelete
  2. Thanks Jeremy! Have you read anything that has really stood out to you lately? I am finishing up The Closing of the American Mind by Allen Bloom. Oliver DeMille recommended it several times in Thomas Jefferson Education. It is very intriguing, but very tough to read. He is so intelligent that I have to concentrate very hard, reread sentences constantly and look up words, time periods, etc. to understand what he is talking about!

    ReplyDelete